A monk’s enlightenment
Imagine if one of the most successful people you knew suddenly disappeared. Now imagine that months, maybe even years, later he showed up at your door completely changed. Imagine if he told you that he had sold all of his material possessions and had sought a life of passion, purpose and peace among the most enlightened monks of our time. Wouldn’t you be intrigued to listen to what he had to say?
Robin Sharma manages to grasp your attention in “The Monk who sold his Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams & Reaching Your Destiny”. It is a book that makes you think, makes you re-consider certain things in life and above all inspires you to do things differently.
It makes you realise that the time to live is now, that we need to simplify our lives, to clear our minds of negative thoughts, to focus on the positive, and take risks in order to be able to truly fulfil the potential that is dormant inside of us.
Here are some of the most noteworthy quotes:
- A person’s life can be summarised in certain key moments, which for everyone are the most important and crucial, the ones that mark their very existence.
- Everyone has inside them reserves of life, more than we ever dreamt of.
- Everything is created twice; first in the mind and then in reality.
- We are the creators of our thoughts.
- During a normal day, around 60,000 thoughts pass through the mind of an average person; 95% of these are the same ones that troubled his/her mind the previous day. Most of them are negative. Instead of focusing on all the good we enjoy in life and all the positive we can aspire to do, we cling on to things that happened in the past, trying to find justifications and reasons to explain our actions. We wither in our thoughts and hinder our mind from fulfilling its true potential of creating magic and realising all the things we dream of. Being able to properly manage your thoughts is key in managing your entire life.
- You truly cannot afford the luxury of a negative thought – not even one.
- When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us.
- The quality of your life is determined by the quality of your thoughts.
- You need to empty your mind of negative thoughts to allow the positive ones to enter. You can’t fill a glass if it is already full.
- The images you create in your fantasy affect the very image you have of yourself.
- You need not change your world in a day. Start off small. The thousand-mile journey begins by taking that first step. We grow great by degrees. Small daily steps lead to stunning results over time.
- Develop a lust for learning. Read regularly. Reading for 30 minutes a day will do wonders for you. Do not read just anything. Be very selective about what you put into the garden of your mind. It must be immensely nourishing. Make it something that will improve both you and the quality of your life. Something that will inspire and elevate you.
- It’s not what you will get out of the books that is so enriching – it is what the books will get out of you that will ultimately change your life…Books will allow you to see what is already inside of you.
- A burning sense of passion is the most potent fuel for your dreams.
- Failure is not having the courage to try, nothing more and nothing less.
- Fear is nothing more than a mental monster you have created, a negative stream of consciousness.
- The only limits on your life are the ones you set yourself.
- All progress comes from unreasonable people, people who follow their hearts and the instructions of their consciences rather than the commands of the crowd. All progress has come from risk-takers and men and women who were willing to visit the places that scared them. Greatness arrives once you refuse to buy into what others see as impossible.
- There are no mistakes in life; only lessons. There is no such thing as a negative experience, only opportunities to grow, learn and advance along the road of self-mastery.
- Being able to master your time means that you are able to master your life.
- In order to awaken your best life, it’s important that you “die while you are alive.” Most people live as if they have all the time in the world. They wish they had more time in their days and yet they waste the time they have. They put off living until some event in the future occurs. In order to awaken to your best life, every day should be lived as if it were your last day on the planet.
- It is not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is what are you so busy about?
- Never postpone the life you can live today.
- We live in an age when we have forgotten what life is all about.
- The purpose of life is a life of purpose.
- Decide to be brilliant at what you do. And in how you live.
- Life has bigger plans for you than you can possibly know.
- Never forget the importance of living with unbridled exhilaration. Never neglect to see the exquisite beauty in all living things. Today, and this very moment, is a gift. Stay focused on your purpose. The Universe will take care of everything else.
- Be patient and live with the knowledge that all you are searching for is certain to come if you prepare for it and expect it.
- Life doesn’t always give you what you ask for, but it always gives you what you need.
Also part of Daily Prompt: Enlighten